Simon ESSIG Magdalena ESSIG Elizabeth ESSIG John ESSIG John ESSIG Barbara Mary ESSIG Jacob E. ESSIG George ESSIG Julia Ann ESSIG Catherine ESSIG Daniel ESSIG Solomon ESSIG Sarah ESSIG Elias ESSIG Rachael ESSIG Harriet ESSIG Catherine LICHTENWALTER Jacob M. ESSIG George ESSIG Sarah ESSIG Sally ESSIG Julia A. ESSIG David ESSIG Samuel ESSIG William H. ESSIG Catherine ESSIG Rebecca ESSIG Julia Margaret SCHWARRIN Mini tree diagram

Adam ESSIG2,9,10,11,3

 

 

 

 

22nd Nov 17881,2,3 - 9th Jan 18665,1,2,8

Life History

22nd Nov 1788

Born in York County, Pennsylvania.1,2,3

10th May 1808

Emigrated from From Cumberland County, Pennsylvania. to Plain Twp., Stark County, Ohio (with parents).1,5,6

after 10th May 1808

Residence (2) in Stark County, Ohio, at "The Old Essig Home", just north of the present (1998) Nimmisilla Park in Plain Township.5,1

before 10th May 1808

Resident in Cumberland County Pennsylvania.5,1

1815

Married Catherine LICHTENWALTER.14

21st Sep 1816

Birth of son John ESSIG in Plain Township, Stark County, Ohio.13,14

22nd Apr 1818

Birth of daughter Barbara Mary ESSIG.2,14

11th Mar 1820

Birth of son Jacob E. ESSIG in Plain Township, Stark County, Ohio (on the family farm).15,2,4

21st Feb 1822

Birth of son George ESSIG.2,16

1823

Birth of daughter Julia Ann ESSIG in Plain Township., Stark County, Ohio.2,14

8th Dec 1825

Birth of daughter Catherine ESSIG in Stark County, Ohio.1,17,18,19

21st Feb 1828

Birth of son Daniel ESSIG in Plain Township, Stark County, Ohio.1,2,14

6th Feb 1830

Birth of son Solomon ESSIG in Ohio.15,2,19,20

9th Oct 1831

Birth of daughter Sarah ESSIG.2,19

6th Sep 1833

Birth of son Elias ESSIG in Stark County, Ohio.15,2,14,19,21,12

24th Mar 1834

Birth of daughter Rachael ESSIG in Plain Township, Stark County, Ohio.14,19

9th Jul 1838

Birth of daughter Harriet ESSIG in Plain Township, Stark County, Ohio.22,14,19

9th Dec 1846

Death of son John ESSIG in Ohio.12

11th Dec 1846

Death of son Daniel ESSIG.1,2,19,12

24th Apr 1864

Death of Catherine LICHTENWALTER in Canton, Stark, Ohio.1,23,24,3

9th Jan 1866

Died in Plain Township, Canton, Stark County, Ohio.5,1,2,8

Other facts

 

Buried in Warstler Cem., Middlebranch, near Canton, Stark County, Ohio.4

 

Military service in War of 1812, Battle of Lake Erie.1,2,7

Notes

  • "Adam served in the war of 1812."
    -Handwritten note by Oliver Sweitzer III

    Of other early settlers, Raynolds gives the names of Captain Downing,Valentine Weaver, Thomas Roach, Mayhew Folger, William Henry, Adam Essig, Philip Slosser, Leonard Mowen, Henry Loutzenbeizer, and John Saxton.
    -Combination Atlas Map of Stark County, Ohio, L.H. Everts & Co., Philadelphia, 1875, 3rd edition published 1995 by Stark County Historical Society, p. 18

    Brothers Pvt. Adam Essig and Cpl. Jacob Essig served in the War of 1812 under the roll of Capt. George Stidger's Company, mustered from Stark County, Ohio.
    -Roster of Ohio Soldiers in War of 1812; 62 Vol. 2. Page 343;  Roll of Capt. George Stidger's Company, Stark County, Ohio; www.ohiohistory.org/Exe/ZyNET.exe

    "Adam Essig was born in 1788 in York, Pennsylvania.  He died on Jan 9, 1866.  Served in the Military during the War of 1812.  Adam (along with his brothers, Jacob and George) fought in the War of 1812, and was in the Battle of Lake Erie.  His brother, George was killed by Indians near Put-in-Bay.  Adam and Jacob were also organizers of the Evangelical Lutheran and German Reformed Church.  On July 24, 1814, they signed the constitution of the church, which still stands and is in use today on Middlebranch Road.  Most of the Essig family is buried there in Henry Werstler's Cemetery, including Simon (Adam's Father).  Adam married Catherine Lichtenwalter, and they lived on the Essig family's farm."
    -Jeanette J. Wenner (1998), 631 Treadway Blvd., Sheffield Lake, OH 44054; "These narratives were passed down to my husband (George Gilbert Wenner) via his mother (Eloise Essig) who has since passed away."

    Catherine Essig's father Adam signed the churches constitution on June 7, 1817.  Many of Adam & Catherine Essig's children are also listed.
    -Early Records of Holy Trinity Lutheran Church of Stark Co., Oh., Allen Co. Public Library

    HOLY TRINITY LUTHERAN CHURCH-EARLY BEGINNINGS
    As settlers streamed into the new Ohio lands following the Revolutionary War, they left behind their established churches in the east. Concerned about the spiritual welfare of those on the frontier, their brethren sent circuit-riders to them. According to the personal diaries ofJohannes Stauch (John Stough), ordained clergyman, he visited the Stark County area on a regular basis, both for preaching and for organizing the German-speaking settlers into congregations. It was Johannes Stauch who organized what is now Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in the year 1806 in the cabin of Jacob Loutzenheiser. The original congregationwas of the Lutheran and Reformed faiths and consisted mainly of farming people. Services were conducted in German until 1835, when English was also accepted in the worship of the congregation. By 1814 the congregation, served by Stauch to that time, called the Rev. Anthony Weyerof the Lutheran Ministerium of Pennsylvania to care for Holy Trinity and other congregations which were beginning to form in the area. Under his guidance, the congregation, numerically strong by this time, drew up its first formal constitution which was signed by 32 male members. [including Adam Essig] Reverend Weyer served the church until his death in 1829 and is buried with his wife in the cemetery across the road from the present church.

    BATTLE OF LAKE ERIE
    Decisive naval engagement of the War of 1812. The battle was fought in and around Put-in-Bay, near the western extremity of Lake Erie, on September 10, 1813. The battle was the culmination of a series of moves by the U.S. designed to challenge British supremacy in the Great Lakes region. The area had fallen under control of British forces through their occupation of Detroit on August 17, 1812, and their subsequent construction of a strong fleet of warships. In March 1813 the American naval officer Commander Oliver Hazard Perry and a force of men arrived at Erie, Pennsylvania, under orders to construct an American fleet capable of meeting the British. The American fleet, completed earlyin September, consisted of nine vessels with a total armament of 54 guns and manned by about 500 men.
    The initial encounter with the British fleet, composed of six vesselsmounting 63 guns and commanded by Commodore Robert H. Barclay, occurred about noon on September 10. In the course of the ensuing action, which is regarded as one of the severest in the early annals of the U.S.Navy, the British concentrated their fire on the U.S.S. Lawrence, Perry's flagship. As a result of some tactical errors on the part of the commanders of some of the craft supporting Perry, the Lawrence was badly damaged by the British fire, and more than 100 men were killed or wounded. Perry transferred his flag to the U.S.S. Niagara shortly after2:30 PM, leaving the disabled Lawrence under the command of a lieutenant. The action continued at close quarters, with all units of both fleets engaged. Around 3:00 PM, Barclay's flagship, the H.M.S. Detroit, surrendered with three other British vessels. The remaining two attempted to escape but were overtaken and captured.
    One hour later Perry sent his famous dispatch to General William Henry Harrison, U.S. commander of the Army of the Northwest: "We have metthe enemy and they are ours." American casualties numbered 123 killedand wounded; British losses totaled 135. Within three weeks after their defeat, the British were forced to evacuate Detroit. The U.S. Army eventually won control of almost the entire Great Lakes region, thus securing the area then known as the Northwest.
    -1997 Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia

    EARLY OHIO SETTLEMENT
    When the first Europeans arrived in Ohio in the late 1700's, about 95percent of the area was forested. They encountered many large game animals, including bison, elk, white-tailed deer, black bear, timber wolf, and cougar. Beaver and mink were common along the streams.  Hostilities with the Indians and British during the French and Indian War (1754-1763), the American Revolution (1775-1783), and War of 1812 slowed settlement. The overwhelming majority of settlers in Ohio in the early1800's were farmers. At first they cleared the land and raised crops to fill their own needs, but by the early 1820's many farmers in the state's rich river valleys were raising substantial surpluses of cattle, hogs, and grain, much of which was converted into whiskey at local stills. Most of the surplus agricultural produce was shipped along theOhio and Mississippi rivers to New Orleans. Sometimes livestock was driven eastward over Appalachian trails to be sold.
    -Adapted from 1999 Encarta Encyclopedia

    The War of 1812 all but wrecked Ohio's burgeoning economy. Worthless and virtually irredeemable currency was floating about since this was the day before the federal government preempted the right to issue currency. This fiscal uncertainty due to the war slowed migration to Canton. However, the westward push of veterans who had fought in the War of 1812 soon saw settlers arriving in the Stark County and Canton areaat an even faster pace than in pre-war days.
    -P. 160, The Stark County Bicentennial Story: 1776-1976, Vol. 2, Pub.1976 by Stark Co. Bicentennial Committee.

    HISTORY OF STARK COUNTY, OHIO
    Canton is the seat of justice for Stark County, Ohio. This town is situated on Nimishillen Creek; about eight miles east of Tuskarawas [nowTuscarawas] Branch of Muskingum River. The quality of the soil in thecounty of Stark is what we call in Ohio, second rate, but in any other country would be denominated First rate. The face of the country, generally speaking, is more beautiful than perhaps any other part of the state; for there is scarcely an acre of land within 30 miles square, that is not well adapted to cultivation. The first settlements herecommenced in spring of 1806, and in spring 1812, there were 1,000 electors in the county. Improvements have kept pace with or surpassed immigration. Within 4 miles of Canton, there are 11 saw and grist mills. On the Plains, which extend west from the town almost to the Tuskarawas River, there are 5 sheep-walks, on which there are full-blooded merinoes, the others of mixed 1/2 and 1/4 blood...
    -James Campbell, 1813 edition of Cramer's Pittsburgh Almanack, found in U. of Kentucky library. (Campbell was Stark County's first treasurer, serving 1809-10.)

    HISTORY OF STARK COUNTY, OHIO
    About 1804, the first settlers arrived in what is now Stark County, Ohio, in pursuit of fertile land for as little as two dollars per acre.Some immigrants wrote home of forests and marshes, sickness and cold;others portrayed a land of ease and plenty--but still they came. The land office at Canton was crowded with settlers making entry of lands and hastening back to fell the trees for cabin homes and get a patch of corn put in. In the summer of 1806 [two years after the arrival of Simon Essig], the first house was erected in Canton, Ohio. The pages of 1815's Repository [newspaper] are filled at times with sales of lots at auction in villages laid out for future cities, but which are harvest-fields or old-time hamlets now. The fertile soil gave rich harvests of wheat, and the meadows furnished nutritious pasturage for droves of cattle and flocks of sheep; while clay and stone and forest-treeafforded ample means for building purposes; add to these the iron ledge and bed of coal, and all the elements of Stark's advancement are inview. In 1809, ferrymen on the Tuscarawas and Sandy Creek streams were licensed for six dollars yearly, and authorized among other rates to charge footmen sixpence; man and horse, one shilling; loaded wagon,half a dollar; and for every head of sheep or hogs, two cents. A bounty for scalps was offered, "..for killing wolves and panthers for the ensuing twelve months: for the scalp of a wolf or of a panther under six months old, fifty cents, over that age, one dollar."
    The first grist-mill in the county was built by Phillip Slusser in 1806 or 1807, on or near the site of Roland's mill. The first distilleryin the County was erected and owned by Thomas Hurford, in 1819 or 1820. He manufactured a cordial from cinnamon, peppermint, sugar, etc., that had a great reputation in that day. Those were the days of peach-brandy, cherry-bounce, and cider-oil, which, with small and strong beerand ginger cakes, were so characteristic of "battalions" forty years ago; but they have been superseded by larger, "rot-gut," and strychnine. Indians came among the settlers to trade furs and ponies for tobacco and "fire-water." They had a camp by the large spring on the Spankle farm, west of the creek, and were generally peaceable.
    By one account,
    "In the spring of 1807, when the compiler of this [Rev. John Niesz, b. Jan. 7, 1798] was but nine years old, my father's family, consisting of seven persons, emigrated in company with the family of Leonard Willeman, numbering nine or ten, and the family of Abraham Rank [located in this genealogy], composed of himself, wife, and five children. The three families set out from Centre County, Pennsylvania, three hundred miles to Canton, Ohio, each with a four-horse wagon, with large Pennsylvania wagon-box, with bows and two linen covers. The men guided the teams, and the mothers drove eight or ten head of cows and cattle. Some of the mothers carried babies in their arms, or led little ones along through mud and brush, especially from Pittsburg (sic) to Canton,where the heavy teams would frequently stick fast in the deep and tough mud. Occasionally they would have to pry up the deepest sunk wheels, and relay a span or two of horses to drag the wagons to a more solid part of _terra firma_.
    Thus we moved there among the weeds and hazel-bushes by the side of acranberry-marsh; cut and laid away the bushes; stuck and pounded downa few forked stakes, laid a pole on to hang the cook-pot to prepare the meals for the family. Our food was composed of milk, cream, potatoes, and browned-meal soup (coffee was only made on Sundays), chicken, deer, bear, and turkey, meat and broth, mush and milk, corn- and wheat-bread, buckwheat and johnny-cake, the latter baked on a board before the fire; the potatoes and dough were often baked in the embers. A few weeks after squatting there we had cabin logs cut, and by gathering six or eight men and a few women in three or four miles around, we hada cabin raised and a clapboard roof put on, which made a comfortable shelter, with an earthen floor and large cracks to let the mosquitoes in and the smoke in the house to drive them out, for we had no flue nor chimney.
    We were frequently annoyed by Indians, who would paint their faces inred or brown stripes or spots, with half a dozen or more strings of deer-claw beads around their legs, to rattle while they were stamping or dancing around. At times they had bows and arrows in their hands, with tomahawk and butcher-knife in their belts; frequently a gun and powder-horn instead of bow and arrows, and endeavored to annoy or scare dogs, women, and children, at a distance of five or six rods [about 90feet] from the cabins, by yelling, stamping, and shaking their rattling strings of beads. They were anxious to trade deer and bear meat, and moccasins, some of which had ornamental or checkered work upon them. In the fall of 1812, three hundred camped for three months almost in sight of Browning's mill.
    The bear, wolf, and deer were about us in great numbers. The bear lives principally upon nuts and acorns, and is very fond of honey; apt atfinding the honey-bee in trees in the woods, and if the outer shells of the hollow trees are not too thick, they will gnaw through, and feast upon the honeycombs. They are expert in climbing trees to search for bees. If a person approaches they run, unless fired upon and wounded, when they fight desperately, and are formidable foes.
    Drinking was general. It was thought by many that cabin-building, log-rolling, and harvesting could not be done without alcoholic beverages. Hard-working men and women thought they must have their bitters in the morning before going to work, and then a refreshing draught every hour or two during the day. Nearly every farmer in this region would have one or two barrels of whiskey made from his own rye and corn at one of the still-houses with which this part of the country was dotted over.
    Schools were unknown until 1811 or 1812 when a log subscription school was started in Canton. Seats were made of slabs brought from Nichols's saw-mill, not far off. After the noon meal the teacher called the boys to order, to "file us boys in rank to teach us military tactics, where the little boys from eight to fifteen years old had their muster-rolls, fife and drum, and other equipments. According to law, all adult men from eighteen to forty-five years of age had to be enrolled, and to parade and muster three or four days yearly, in company and regimental drill."
    Jacob Grounds, who arrived in Stark County in 1808, recalled that henhe arrived the Indian missionaries Elliot and Heckewelder were yet living in Tuscarawas Valley, and by their influence over the Indians thesettlers in this section of the country were not molested during the war of 1812. Mr. Grounds became personally acquainted with the chiefs,Armstrong and Beaverhat. Their tribes were faithful till Hull's surrender; they then joined the British army at Detroit.
    Groceries were high and scarce. Tea, coffee, and salt were difficult to be obtained; to procure a small quantity of the last-named article,Grounds walked fifteen miles to the house of an uncle where he received a tin cupful. A bushel of wheat sold for only one shilling [12.5 cents], and that was laid away carefully to pay the taxes.
    Kindly feeling among the settlers was general. They regarded each other's happiness, and were always ready to assist or join together for heavy work, and accidents or sickness was soon known miles away, and tender concern manifested.
    In 1813, in August, the settlements in Stark County were disturbed bythe war-whoop of the Indian. The war which had been raging upon the Western frontier was carried on by the British and Indians, who formed an alliance, with a bitterness almost unparalleled in the history of warfare. Settlements were deserted and crowds retreated eastwardly, leaving their cabins to be burned and fields to be laid desolate. This condition of things lasted but for a short time. On September 10, 1813, the victory of Commodore Perry on Lake Erie, over the British squadron, checked the devastation upon the frontier, and the tide of immigration poured westwardly once more. The seat of war was transferred to other portions of the country, and, although peace was not declared between this country and Great Britain until December, 1814, this section of the West escaped its horrors.
    On the surrender of Hull, the people of Canton were full of forebodings. One day an alarm was given that the Indians were approaching, and there was hurrying to and fro, until it was discovered that the body of men seen across the Tuscarawas River were a portion of Hull's paroled men on their return home. The soldiers were in a destitute condition both as regarded food and clothing. The ladies of Canton, among whom were Mrs. Stidger, Sterling, Schorb, Foyle, Palmer, and Coulter, securing a large iron kettle, made a quantity of soup, and hastily bakeda batch of ash-cake from flour, salt, and water; spoons were obtainedfrom the store, and the men were fed; recruited, they pushed for their homes.
    From the close of 1812 down to 1829, at various times, the residents and newcomers experienced want and suffering. Nothing of agricultural product would command money. The Legislature tried the plan of chartering banks, and the General Government, in 1816, resorted to the expedient of a national bank, and when that went into operation, the effect was an absorption of all the local institutions; their issues became depreciated, and they were compelled to close their doors. Nothing but money would purchase the necessaries of life; without money, sugar, salt, tea, coffee, sheetings, and shirtings had to be represented by what substitutes the forest, field, and flock would supply the hand of industry. The maple tree was drained of its sweets for sugar, sassafrasroot and parched grain were substitutes for tea and coffee, and the spinning wheel and flax-break, now so seldom, if ever, seen and heard, were parlor ornaments. The qualifications of a wife were not to play upon an organ or piano, producing harmonic sounds; they were knitting and spinning and helping in the harvest-field. One good woman, who longsince finished her labors, in addition to her household duties helpedto roll logs and burn the brush upon lands where now stands a part ofthe city of Massillon.
    The men and women of 1815, and later, left pleasant homes, loved and loving ones, for the privations of a wilderness and the companionship of savages. They longed for their good old homes, but did not take their hand from their work. They erected churches and school-houses, and laid the foundation for Stark's present wealth and prosperity.
    Stark County is situated in the eastern portion of the state. Its surface is rolling. The central and northeast portions are somewhat undulating. The soil is, in general, a sandy loam. In localities to the northward and eastward a clayey soil is found. Its staple products are wheat and corn. Coal-mining is extensively carried on; and manufacturingis an important enterprise. Its facilities of soil, mineral coal, iron ore, flocks of the choicest sheep, and superior water power all suggest prominence in farming and manufactures. Enormous beds of mime-marl exist, and limestone abounds. At an early date the mulberry was raised, and the manufacture of silk attempted with prospects of success. The great body of settlers came from Germany and France.
    The entire area of Stark County is underlaid with coal; the average thickness of available seams is twenty feet. The supply is inexhaustible. In 1870, five hundred and one hands mined in Stark county. The materials essential to iron manufacturing--ore, coal, and limestone--are all native Stark County (principally the southern portions), a significant iron producer.
    -Combination Atlas Map of Stark County, Ohio, L.H. Everts & Co., Philadelphia, 1875, 3rd edition published 1995 by Stark County Historical Society, pp. 18-21. [Edited for brevity.]

    HISTORY OF STARK COUNTY, OHIO
    The area now known as Ohio was originally Indian land (Erie, Huron, Ottawa, Tuscarora, Mingo, Delaware, Shawnee, and Miami) that was visited by Frenchmen like Robert Cavelier, sieur de La Salle between 1669 and 1670. As a result of La Salle's exploration and maps, France laid claim to the entire Ohio valley. The French and English fought for control of the area and it wasn't until the War of 1812 that US control was affirmed. The creation of the Northwest Territory by the Continental Congress on 13 July, 1787 and the passage of the Land Ordinance of 1785 that authorized the sale of mile square sections, led to greater development in Ohio. When the Federal requirement of 60,000 free adultmales was met, Ohio became the first state admitted from the Northwest Territory in 1803.
    On 13 February, 1808 by an act of the State Legislature, Stark Countywas drawn from land originally in Columbiana County. It was organizedon 1 January, 1809.  Prior to 1815 Stark County consisted of eight townships; Canton, Green, Tuscarawas, Sandy, Plain, Osnaburg, Nimishillen, and Perry.  The County was named after one of George Washington's Revolutionary War Generals, John Stark.
    1. Bethlehem was incorporated 12 Dec 1816.
    2. Canton was organized 16 Mar 1809.
    3. Jackson township was created from Green and Tuscarawas on 1 Apr 1815.
    4. Lake was organized 4 Jun 1816.
    5. Lawrence was organized Dec 1815.
    6. Lexington was organized 4 Mar 1816.
    7. Marlboro was organized 4 Mar 1816.
    8. Nimishillen was organized 16 Mar 1809.
    9. Osnaburg was organized 16 Mar 1809.
    10 .Paris was incorporated 1 Aprl 1818.
    11 .Perry was organized 26 Feb 1814.
    12 .Pike (from Canton twp) was organized 6 Mar 1815.
    13 .Plain was organized 16 Mar 1809.
    14 .Sandy was organized 16 Mar 1809.
    15. Sugar Creek was organized 4 Mar 1816.
    16. Tuscarawas was organized 5 Mar 1810.
    17. Washington was organized 3 Dec 1821.
    Note:  Brown, Rose, and Harrison were created from Sandy township butreassigned to Carroll Co. and Franklin and Green were reassigned to Summit County in 1840. Be aware that your ancestor may appear in Franklin Twp. Stark County for instance, before 1840 and then appear in Summit County in 1850.
    -Combination Atlas Map of Stark County, Ohio, L.H. Everts & Co., Philadelphia, 1875, 3rd edition published 1995 by Stark County Historical Society.

Sources

Page created using GEDmill Pro version 1.10.2